Sunday, November 30

Black Friday


I'm dancing in the mobe, spinning some Christmas tunes, hugging perfect strangers...Why! I'm not in retail!!!

For almost 20 years of my life I couldn't truly relax on Thanksgiving. I knew that within hours of my head hitting the pillow my dreadful alarm would jolt me awake. Starting my intro vinous coffee drip, I would find the most comfortable heels and festive suit while cursing that jolly old St.Nick.

It's the dead of the night and I'm driving to work. After parking a half mile away, I make my way into the store. Signs start flying, the sick line is ringing...where the (bleep) are those little elves. One final pep talk to 80 cranky workers while anxious (somewhat obnoxious) customers start to bang on the door. Inevitably, one woman is pointing at her watch complaining that it reads 5:31. Moving cautiously to unlock the door I swiftly dodged the glazed eyed, elbow throwing...gotta have it customers.

12 hours later, with only a minute in my bed, I'm back at work to do it all over again. Merry Flipp'en Christmas!

(Either I am insane (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results) or I am truly a retail, I hate to say it, junkie. The truth is I loved what I did. I just wanted a change.... You can take the girl out of retail but you can not take the retail out of the girl.)

Now, here I sit wondering, just a little, what is going on in the retail world. What are the items that crazy people like my mom and sisters got up at 4:30 for...?
Give me the down low, fill me in...what was it like on Black Friday? Did you get up early? Tell me about your experience.

*Have you checked out the Freebies,Give-a-Ways and Goof Stuff.* I added a few new items.
Hold your horses....I am going to be starting a super-cala-fragalistic contest...very soon!

9 comments:

larkswing said...

LOL - I wondered how those in the retail world felt about Black Friday - I think I would quite if I had to be at the store in time to open at 4am! yikes! I quite Black Fridays about 10 or 11 years ago - the first year I felt like I needed a body guard for my buggie and the year before they tore the doors off the local Walmart! CRAZY!

michelle said...

I was up early, but not by choice. I just woke up at 6:00 for some stupid reason.

Around 10:00, I ambled over to Walmart to try to find something my son needed for his science fair project. It was INSANE.

The worst part was, while in the car I heard on the radio that a Walmart employee somewhere in the East was trampled to death that morning! The customers broke the doors down. That is just scary and disturbing. Be glad you got to sleep in!

Alyson | New England Living said...

I am not a black Friday kind of girl. I'm too much of a lazy mazy to get up that early.

I can only imagine the nightmare that is working black Friday when you work retail. I enjoyed reading about your experiences! I actually felt fear for you as you described opening up the door for those insane customers!

Jill said...

I slept in until 8:45 on Friday morning and woke up loving the fact that I wasn't out shopping. I hate crowds, hate greediness, and hate getting up early. I can see how the tradition of it can be fun for people who don't mind those things, but I'd much rather sleep in.

Anonymous said...

I was standing at the Clinique counter in full makeup and cute hair all ready to be nicey-nice at 5:00am.

Tomorrow is my first day off since black friday and I can't wait. People are just nuts!!

I have to say that as we watched the news of the Walmart worker being killed while we were in our stores breakroom...some of us teared up knowing that it could have been any one of us.

Remember the reason for the season is not a blue ray dvd player.

Debbie said...

I just don't do those busy shopping days. Too much for me. I can't imagine working there.

j said...

i did not do black friday- i don't think i ever have. i did go to target later in the day and i have to admit, the atmosphere is contagious. i was ready to shop- good thing shane was here to restrain me. :)
a contest!!!! woo hoo!!!!

Crownhilldigger said...

Not being the "black friday" type and having had some time in support of the retail world I know the tricks that were played on consumers when they were weak! Oh the humanity...
But as you surely know the thirst for that great deal will drive some to regretable action...hope it proves fruitful for you!!

jen@odbt said...

I posted about my first BF experience here. I went out this past BF but not early. I went to Wal-Mart around 10am. It was not bad - the store wasn't too crowded but it was definitely a mess. The deals are pretty good but it has to be pretty pretty good to get me out of my warm cozy bed.